Full, ad-free episode of "The Case of the Whale Shark Party with Rafael de la Parra," along with a package of educational materials. Included in this package are:
- An ad-free version of the episode "The Case of the Whale Shark Party with Rafael de la Parra"
- A lesson plan with tips on how to use these materials in class
- A transcript of the episode
- A vocabulary worksheet to help students learn the vocabulary used in the episode
- A fill-in-the-blank guided notes sheet
- A fact-question-response graphic organizer
- Listening Comprehension & Discussion questions
- An activity that teaches students one way ecologists estimate wild animal populations
- A worksheet to help students understand whale sharks' place in the food web
The materials in this episode and package align with the following standards:
5-LS2-1 - Specifically, this episode deals with whale sharks and gives some information about their habits and what they need to survive. The listening comprehension sheet and the food web diagram both directly discuss issues having to deal with the food web, and whale sharks’ place on that web.
Core content ideas: LS2.A and LS2.B
Common Core ELA:
The vocabulary exercises in particular are aligned with CCSS.ELA.LITERACY.L.5.4, 5.5, and 5.6
Common Core Math:
The Estimating Squirrel Population Activity makes pretty extensive use of ratios and proportions, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.RP.A.1, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.RP.A.2, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.RP.A.3.
For educational use only. Not commercial or derived material.