We're going on an indoor expedition to discover the species in our own home! You’ll never look at the bugs in your house the same way again. Ecologist and author Rob Dunn is our guide to exploring what he calls, “the unknown we wake up in every morning.” We’ll find out how many species live in the average home (it’s more than you think!) and tell you how you can conduct your own scientific survey inside your house. It’s an activity that could help scientists discover indoor wildlife all around the world.
Listen to the episode, and then set off on your own indoor expedition! Remember, take photos of all the non-pet, non-plant species you find in your home.
Here's how to sign up for Rob's citizen science project, Never Home Alone.
1. Go to iNaturalist.org. (It's also available as a mobile app!)
2. Create your account.
3. Once you're signed in, search for "Never Home Alone" in the search bar.
4. Click on the TOP project. (Not the Ancient Egyptian Indoors, although that's also interesting to explore.) You'll be transported to this page with a map, showing observations that have already been submitted from around the world.
5. It's super fun to explore what other users have already submitted. Are you ready to submit your own photos? Okay! See that green "Upload" button in the top right corner?
6. Click on that.
7. Upload your photos and fill out the information! (This is even easier on the mobile app.) If you don't know the species, don't worry. Other users on the site will help you identify your bugs. It's the magic of crowdsourced science!
Did you sign up and submit your observations? Let us know! We'd be happy to share your bug photos on Tumble social media! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact page on this very website to upload your photos directly to us.
ALSO!! Our friend Science Mom made an awesome, downloadable coloring book/ bug guide!
If you're already a Patreon member, go there and download it now! If you're not a Patreon member, there's never been a better time to sign up, support our show, and get sweeeeeet rewards. Here's how to join: CLICK HERE, then click "Become a Patron."
More about Science Mom: She has a real name! Jenny Ballif makes educational YouTube videos and awesome printables (available for free!) She also has a Patreon campaign where she shares more great science resources.